90sfashion.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. See our disclosure here.
Last Updated on January 5, 2022
Hands up if you have fond memories of sitting in your living room watching the latest episode of ‘The X-Files’ (it was the 90s, you couldn’t binge watch).
The iconic duo Mulder and Scully were played by babe-of-the-time David Duchovny and redhead stunner Gillian Anderson. The brilliant sci-fi show not only brought serious high-drama, but it also brought excellent fashion thanks to Doctor Scully.
We’ve studied the wardrobe of this powerful female character, and put together a guide for the best Dana Scully outfit ideas. Let’s get down to business with power suits, no-makeup makeup, and a whole lot of brooding smarts.
Let’s start with the classic Dana Scully look, the tailored black pantsuit with a crisp white shirt complete with large collar and lapels. This look is timeless as a concept, but we can adjust the cut, fabrics, and styling to make it suit the current time.
- Tall women could try a wide-leg pant and relaxed-fit blazer in soft linen with a white silk blouse with a cowl-neck underneath
- Soften the look and add a little color with a deep navy pinstripe suit in 100% organic cotton if you can find a bargain or stretch your budget (it’s softer, more breathable, and better for the environment than polyester)
- Play with proportions by going for high-waisted pants and a cropped jacket, (great for shorter girls)
- Put a fresher, more street-friendly spin on the look and swap the shirt for a graphic tee or even an embellished tank to add sparkle beneath the blazer
- Shoes are always an opportunity to add color and design flair. For example, offset a “down to business” work uniform with a pair of bright matte leather pumps or even a pair of heeled, studded ankle boots peeping out from underneath your wide-leg pant hemline
The Turtleneck, Blazer, and Pant
Dana was partial to a turtleneck top or sweater layered with the go-to pantsuit. This is an excellent look for professional office-wear during winter and fall but can be just as versatile for warmer months depending on sleeve length and fabric choice.
- For winter, find long-sleeved turtleneck sweaters in breathable wool knit or cashmere. If pairing with high-waisted, wide-leg pants, go for a form-fitting sweater to create sleek proportions
For spring and summer, a halter-style turtleneck sleeveless top can be worn alone or layered with a lightweight cotton blazer
- Play with color, pattern, and texture to add interest to your professional-wear. For example, a floral turtleneck under a navy linen pantsuit would be killer.
- Or, picture a bright magenta turtleneck sleeveless top under a cream slimline suit. Dana Scully but brighter and lighter
The Halloween costume
Dana Scully is a badass woman to dress as for a costume or Halloween party, Mulder or not.
- Create a base costume with a pantsuit and shirt (the most recognizable Scully outfit)
- You definitely need a classic X-Files prop or two, the most important being an FBI card complete with Dana Scully’s photo and signed with her name
- Go the whole nine yards and laminate the handmade card so you can wear it on your lapel as a badge, (in fact, this could be a great gift idea for an avid X-Files fan who secretly wants to be the third agent to Mulder and Scully’s dynamic duo)
Get yourself a red, shoulder-length wig you can style with a side parting and perfectly smooth, rounded waves. Keep your makeup nineties-neutral, with a matte complexion, soft brown eyeshadow, barely-there mascara, and either muted red or nude-brown lips
Go wild and play that iconic X-Files theme song as you enter the party, and greet the first guests with “the truth is out there”. Okay, this may be a little over the top, and there may be people who have no idea what you’re on about…but it’s worth a go.
The pencil skirt suit and pumps
If you love the “Scully style” but you’re more of a skirt-lover than a pants queen, no stress. Dana wore her fair share of skirt suits and looked gorgeous as usual. This is obviously a great way to dress for the office or work, but it can also be styled for the streets and the weekend adventures.
- Go full 90s with a red and black tartan pencil skirt suit with sheer tights and black court shoes. Or, make it fresh by choosing a cropped jacket with a plain white tee underneath, and heeled ankle boots instead of court shoes
- There’s something sexy and powerful about a high-waisted midi pencil skirt with a silk blouse tucked in with the top few buttons undone, a pair of high pumps and a bold red lip. To make it evening or bar-friendly, choose an embellished skirt with sequins or metallic embroidery
- Dana was a champion of the oversized trench coat in rich charcoals or classic greys, with large lapels, wide shoulders, and a slouchy style. You can throw this over any look for winter coverage
Remember…“the truth is out there!”.