90sfashion.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. See our disclosure here.
Last Updated on July 29, 2021
Aaliyah, also known as Baby Girl, was a young R&B artist that rocked the 90s. Sadly, she was taken from us way too early, cutting her career way too short.
She had a timeless beauty and an iconic fashion style that is eerily relevant today. Her legacy is to keep influencing music and trends in the future as she has been doing since before social media existed.
Read ahead to find out how she became the first ambassador of baggy clothing and sassiness.
And most importantly, all the tricks she used to create the perfect balance between feminine and masculine clothing items in an effortless ensemble.
For cool days, and ways, welcome the athleisure essentials. Which takes us straight back to the Tommy Hilfiger advertising, setting trends to this day.
- Bra tops and Crop tops are a very important category as they allow you to celebrate your abs, a primary piece to be kept in full exposure or sight under anything you wear over it.
- Baggy pants and jeans oversized joggers to be worn low and matched with the previous items or with a sports jersey.
- Dungarees and overalls, always opt for a bigger size, then decide for either a utilitarian or laid back look.
To keep the urban vibes when you step outside, shelter yourself with a big outerwear coat.
By now you are well acquainted with Aaliyah’s ́personalized way of showing skin, regardless if it was summer or fall, a policy that also applies on the red carpet.
- Thigh-high slit gowns, like the one for the Academy Awards 1998, make your job easy. Find a maxi black dress and cut a side slit.
- Sleek pants, because who said you must wear dresses to fancy settings? Check out the different ideas, from 1997 show outfit leather pants and jacket to the embroidered revealing ensemble in 2000, B-Girl clothing choices were new staples in the nineties.
- All white trend in different takes. The tailored suit worn by itself with a statement necklace, the furry floor-length coat elegantly combined with an open shirt and loose fitted pants in 1997, and the figure-hugging full white glam you can recreate with slim jeans and low V-neck top, featured on More Than A Woman official video.
Throughout the years many people still celebrate Aaliyah and her legacy, including different celebrities and brands. A good example is the tribute collaboration line of cosmetics brand, MAC. A limited-edition that came as an answer to fans ́ demands #AaliyahforMAC, available to shop online. The influenced celebrity-fan is Rihanna who also launched a makeup beauty collection Fenty, peek into her site.