Last Updated on June 21, 2020
Camouflage was meant for blending in – but the trend is all about standing out!
Gwen Stefani, Avril Lavigne, Christina Aguilera, all the members of Destiny’s Child – they all rocked camo pants in the 90s. Destiny’s Child ran away with the camouflage trend, sporting head to toe camouflage on more than one occasion. We might even credit Beyoncé for single-handedly making the camouflage dress the sartorial sensation it now is!
Today’s famous faces are still rocking the trend too. From Gigi and Bella Hadid to Rihanna, all of our modern day icons are still donning camouflage every way they can. Skinny trousers, cargo pants, dresses, skirts, shorts – camouflage comes in all sorts of different forms now; and we are here for all of it!
However, we do have a particularly soft spot for the thing that started it all – the camo pants.
So without further ado, here’s how you can wear them the whole year round…
Casually In Winter
- The secret to nailing camo pants in the autumn/winter lies in the layering.
- Layer up with a sweater, a heavy biker jacket – preferably one with additional lining inside – and an oversized scarf.
- Finish the look off with a woolly pompom hat, and some fierce biker boots or combat boots.
- Go one step further and upgrade to a badass pair of Doc Martens.
- Keep the colour palette minimal and complementary too – stick to whites, greys, blacks, and browns.
Casually In Summer
- Is anything more stylish and fashionable than a pair of camouflage trousers?
- Let the trousers – baggy, skinny, or somewhere in-between – be the well-deserved star of the show and team with minimal accessories.
- Embrace the 90s and wear yours with a cropped top. (Then, grab a hairbrush to act as your makeshift mic and pretend you’re in a music video. No? Just us?)
- As far as footwear is concerned – sweltering summer days call for camo pants and flip flops. For medium temperatures, we recommend a pair of your favourite Chuck Taylor sneakers.
- Dare you wear a school tie for ultimate Avril Lavigne nostalgia? The choice is yours…
Embrace The Colour
- Don’t just stick to the standard camouflage colour, unless you really are heading into the army.
- Pink and blue camouflage were big hits in the 90s, and we’re pleased to see that they are both making a triumphant return for the new decade.
Add Some Femininity
- Yes, it is possible to wear camo pants without being a complete tomboy.
- Add some femininity to simple camo pants and white tee look by carefully selecting some of your favourite jewellery pieces to accessorise. The more delicate, the better!
- Go glam and wear your camo pants to the next girls night out. Wear with a glamorous cropped top, corset, or the 2019-favouite – the bodysuit.
- Add your highest and fiercest pair of stilettos – or wedges if you’re going for a more smart/casual aesthetic – and you’re good to go!
- And if you want to really show off the versatility of camo trousers, smarten them up by wearing with some chic heeled ankle boots, alongside an elegant scarf, a tailored blazer, and an oversized clutch.
- Stick to black accessories if you want to maintain elegance