Last Updated on March 12, 2021
Everyone was talking about harem pants in the 90s, thanks to a certain MC Hammer and what was then and will now forever be known as the legendary Hammer pants.
Although harem pants aren’t too dissimilar from the rapper’s iconic pants, they actually go a whole lot further than the hip hop scene. If you can believe it, they first came on the Western scene in the 1910s, and were inspired by the fashions of the Middle East. Fast forward and harem pants are dominating the catwalks and streets of the entire world.
Gigi Hadid, Gwen Stefani, Hailey Baldwin – or should we now say, Hailey Bieber, Rihanna, Elle MacPherson, Jessie J, and Sienna Miller are just a few in a very long list of A-list fans, choosing to wear them as part of their off-duty yet totally on-trend styles.
Here are just four of many ways to wear harem pants in this brand new decade…
Around The House
- Harem pants were designed with your comfort in mind, so why not make the most of it and wear them when you’re relaxing in your own home?
- Cooking dinner, watching Netflix, helping the kids with their homework – all these tasks can be made more comfortable, and more stylish, by wearing harem pants. Fact!
- Wear with your comfiest top and slippers – yes, we said slippers – during the colder months, and swap for flip flops when it gets warmer.
- Festivals are as much about the fashion as they are about the music, don’t believe us? Check out these 10 ideas on what to wear to a rave.
- Harem pants at the next festival you attend are certainly going to make a statement.
- Go for a festival-approved hippie, boho aesthetic and choose harem pants in paisley or floral prints.
- Accessorise with the flower garland of your dreams, and some of the longest tassel earrings you can find.
- Or, pay homage to the hip hop artists of the 90s and noughties that brought them back into our lives and wear them the way MC Hammer would be proud of. I.e, with a fierce pair of the latest designer trainers, and tight fitted tank tops. Bonus points for choosing metallic gold or silver pants.
At The Beach
- Complete your laid-back beach attire by choosing a pair of harem pants to wear over your swimwear.
- They’re also the perfect alternative to leggings for yoga, Pilates, and other light activities.
- Light colours and breathable fabrics are your best bet for wearing to the beach.
- Harem pants couldn’t be more perfect for the beach, as they won’t get any sand on them thanks to their tight, cropped bottoms.
- It also means that you can walk along the beachfront or in the shallow depths of the sea barefoot, without worrying about getting your trousers wet. Stylish and practical, who knew?
- Pack your harem pants on your next girls’ holiday. We know that suitcase room is sacred, so every inch of space counts.
- Not only will they serve you well on the beach – see above – but they will also double up as party-wear. In other words, they’re suitable for all occasions!
- Harem pants go with practically everything. From printed slogan tees to minuscule cropped tops, the possibilities are virtually endless.
At The Club
- To make the Harem pants the stand-out piece of the party ensemble, go for bold hues and prints, and keep the top half as minimal as possible.
- Be sure to tuck your top in to make the most of the gorgeous silhouette the pants will inevitably give you. Or go for a French tuck (leaving the back hanging out) if you don’t want to feel as restricted.
- Add a statement necklace – or if we’re going full-on 90s, a choker! – to complete the party look.
You May Like: 5 Club Fashion Trends from the 90s [Women’s Edition]