90sfashion.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. See our disclosure here.
Last Updated on May 17, 2021
Do you call them Converse, Chuck Taylors, or because you wear them so much, the more familiar name, Chucks?
We know that you know what we are referring to – perhaps the most iconic yet versatile piece of casual footwear that has been around since the start of the century. (We’re not even exaggerating – the very first All Star basketball shoe was produced in 1917, if you can believe it, while the classic all-white version made its debut at the 1936 Olympics).
Got white converse? Read: What to Wear with White Converse
Over a hundred years later, Converse are still hotter and more stylish than ever. But did we wear them in the 90s because they were stylish? Or was it because our favourite famous faces rocked them on red carpets, music videos, off days, on stage (who can forget Madonna’s bedazzled pair?), and every other occasion? Who can say for sure?
What we can be sure of, is that Converse can be dressed up or down and worn by everyone – not just basketball stars and emo kids. And we’re going to show you some of our favourite ways…
In The Summer
- It’s perfectly acceptable – perhaps even encouraged – to wear nothing but Converse during the summer.
- A clean, white pair is perfect for summer. Save the other colour combinations for the other seasons and rock your whitest pair for the hottest months.
- We recommend buying at least two pairs, so that you can wear one while the other pair is in the washing machine. Yes, you’ll be wearing them THAT much!
- White sneakers will go with all of your summer outfits – from those casual overalls to that cute skirt to the smart/casual midi skirt and denim jacket.
- Mix things up by swapping your laces to colour co-ordinate with the rest of your outfit. How early noughties of you!
Like An Off-Duty Celeb
- The best way to channel an off-duty celeb is to nail the footwear. And you can’t go wrong with a pair of Converse.
- Jessica Alba, Taylor Swift, Alexa Chung, Kaia Gerber, Julia Roberts, Rihanna, Gwen Stefani, Selena Gomez – they all can’t be wrong!
- Tone down the femininity of a floral dress by teaming it with a pair of Converse. Or just give your feet a rest from heels and wear them with your formal dress. Hailee Steinfeld wore hers to an Oscars after-party for crying out loud…
- Channel your former emo kid and wear them with the skinniest pair of jeans you can find. White jeans are great for hotter days, while black jeans make the ensemble slightly smarter.
- Slim fit jeans or even leggings, Converse, and a simple tank top – paired with an oversized tote bag and celeb-approved gargantuan shades – is the ultimate off-duty A-lister-about-town look that can easily be recreated without an A-list bank account.
- Sweatpants and a beanie, or ripped jeans and a tank top, are two other celeb-inspired ways to team your Converse if you’re going for a really casual aesthetic.
- Roll up your slim fit jeans to show off your low Chucks – wear barely there/trainer socks to give the illusion of no socks.
Don’t Neglect The Socks
- Choosing the right socks is crucial!
- When wearing hi-tops, socks that cover your entire foot – ankles and all – are a must. Because blisters, in case you haven’t heard, are not ideal. Neither is the smell that going barefoot in a pair of hi-tops will inevitably produce.
- Standard low tops, however, can be worn with smaller socks such as ankle socks or trainer socks. Unless you’re going for the skater girl aesthetic, in which case, grab your longest pair of socks and wear them as high up as possible. Extra points if they’re striped or even mismatched!
- Smartening up your off duty ensemble is easy. Simply add a large pashmina and a chic blazer. You can even add a crisp white shirt for a trend-driven smart/casual look.
- If you’re going for the smarter end of smart/casual, choose a darker pair of Converse. All-black low tops are our favourites!