It’s Still Hammertime – Hammer Pants Have Evolved, And They’re Trendier Than Ever!

0
279
Plastic MC Hammer Figure wearing purple jacket and trousers with seth godin

When someone says the words ‘MC Hammer’, 30% of our brain starts singing U Can’t Touch This, while the other 70% is occupied with reminiscing about the rapper’s decade-defining style.

Akin to many artists, MC Hammer had a very distinctive style, and the unmistakable stand-out piece was his billowy, loose-fitting trousers. More commonly referred to as MC Hammer pants. The low-crotch trousers defined the hip hop genre, and the entire 90s and noughties decades – and they’re making a serious comeback!

Hammer pants are also known as parachute pants, but don’t let the rapper hear you say that. He has been known to correct anyone who “misuses” the term, and told Racked back in 2016 that he “detests” the term. So, to keep MC Hammer and all other 90s rappers happy, we will refer to them as Hammer pants from now on.

Fashion Month was dominated by Hammer pants and harem pants (more on these later) on the catwalk as well as on social media courtesy of FROWers and influencers alike, which means we need to know exactly what to call them, and most importantly, how to wear them.

We love the idea of forgoing our joggers, sweatpants, and casual leggings for Hammer pants as we lounge around the house, but we want more. We’re not planning on busting out Hammertime during our morning commute, so how on earth can we style the iconic Hammer pants outside of the house in this brand new decade?

Here are some examples of how to wear the casual yet totally versatile dance pants in new ways…

Wild Prints

  • Hammer pants definitely make a statement – as do bold colours and loud prints. So, we suggest incorporating the two for a stand-out outfit that nobody will be able to ignore.
  • Gold Hammer pants, as worn by the man himself, are the perfect homage to the rapper. Team with a silver top for seamless mix and matched metallic style.
  • Clashing prints are still a hot runway trend, so why not team some leopard print Hammer pants with a tight fitted polka dot crop top?

All Tied Up

  • Although Hammer pants are designed to be casual and billowing to allow you to dance, the style has certainly evolved over the years.
  • Isabel Marant’s AW/2019 show featured models rocking tailored Hammer pants, with tighter tops and wide belts to tie the look together.
  • In other words, keep the bottom loose the way MC Hammer taught us, but give the look a 2020 update by cinching in the waist. See, the best of both worlds!  
  • This therefore makes the look appropriate to wear to other places, and not just in music videos and on concert stages.
  • However, if you want to stick to the original silhouette of the iconic piece of dancewear, then ditch the belt and team with a loose, slashed T-shirt.

Read: Get Kitted out for a Rave: 10 On Point Ideas

Biker Chic

  • If you thought Hammer pants only dominated the hip hop scene, then you’re sorely mistaken.
  • Hammer pants can be toughened up and given a biker chick aesthetic too. Simply look at the Altuzarra AW/2019 collection for proof.
  • Nylon or cotton are great fabrics, but leather Hammer pants, teamed with a matching leather jacket, add a whole new dimension to what was once just a casual look for dancers. Don’t you love how fashion has evolved?
  • Defy MC Hammer and forgo the trainers in favour of a fierce pair of stilettos, to show people that you mean business.  

Smarten Up

  • And speaking of business, did you ever think that you could potentially wear Hammer pants in the office? In 2020, anything is possible…
  • Take advantage of dress-down-Fridays or smart/casual work trips and team your Hammer pants with some sharp office attire.
  • Not all Hammer pants are created equal. Some come in gargantuan, voluminous shapes, with crotches that practically touch the ground – but others are made far more subtly.
  • Go for a thinner silhouette in a dark colour – you can’t go wrong with black – and accessorise with a chic blazer and some office appropriate accessories.
  • An oversized tote bag or briefcase will really play with trends and boundaries – and we’re here for it!

Featured image source: Betsy Weber / Licence