90sfashion.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. See our disclosure here.
Last Updated on April 20, 2022
Okay, so call me naive but I always thought clogs were those funny looking wooden shoes favored by people from Amsterdam and the fact that they are pretty comparable to the Crocs that I have always hated with a passion, mainly down to their lack of style and pure ugliness.
Late last year however I stumbled upon the Boston from Birkenstock, not a bit of wood in sight unless you count the super comfy cork footbed and a design that, although isn’t what I would call uber-chic, definitely caught my eye so much that I had to buy a pair.
Now, my review is for the Boston Clog with the suede leather upper although they do come in a variety of finishes including oiled leather, wool felt, vegan and shearling which I will cover more a little bit later.
Birkenstock Boston Overview
Model of Shoe: The Boston Clog
Brand Recognition / Shoe Model recognition: A very robust looking Clog style of slip on shoe which is instantly recognizable as Birkenstock
What makes it unique: The Birkenstock footbed that molds to your foot and the EVA sole
Who is it best for: Men & Women – Unisex Design
Size Range: Women 4-12.5 (including all half sizes), Men 6-14.5 including all half sizes
Price Range ($, $$, $$$): $120.00 – $230.00
Color Range (Top 3 Colors): Black, Mink & Taupe
My Birkenstock Boston Full Review
Style & Aesthetic
The Boston is a robust slip on clog style sandal that is much like a mule in design although does have an adjustable strap with perfectly spaced eyelets and a pin buckle for the optimum fit.
The Boston is made up of clean lines with no visible stitching and the soles are made from lightweight EVA which is ridged for great traction and grip when walking.
The Boston also has a supergrip option.
Length 27 cm | 10.625″ (US size 9)
Width: Regular & Narrow
Weight 383 g | 13.5 oz (US size 9)
Heel Height: 1cm
Two width options available with this style for optimum comfort and fit.
Comfort and Arch Support
The Boston Clog has the original Birkenstock footbed and also comes in the soft footbed option – which features pronounced arch support, a deep heel cup, and roomy toe box. Footbed molds and shapes to your foot once broken in.
The sole isn’t very flexible when you first take your Bostons from the box but anyone who knows the Birkenstock range of footwear knows that this is the norm as all Birkenstock sandals, clogs and flip-flops need breaking in properly.
The Boston Clog comes in a huge range of options when it comes to the uppers so there really is something for everyone, whatever your preference.
Upper material: Suede Leather, Oiled Leather, Embossed Leather, Wool Felt, Birko Flor, Natural Leather, Football Leather, Microfibre and Shearling
Footbed: The original and soft footbeds made from a mix of latex and Cork. Both footbed mold and shapes to your foot.
Sole material: EVA – Flexible, lightweight, durable and shock absorbing
Get in the Know: Birkenstock Birko Flor vs Leather (Which Should You Choose?)
Extremely durable and robust.
- Extreme temperatures can harm cork footbeds and EVA soles, so try to keep them away from campfires, radiators and fireplaces. On hot days, don’t leave your Birkenstocks under direct sun or in closed environments like closed vehicles.
- Some Birkenstock shoes are waterproof, but the majority are not, and should not be submerged in water since the sealants may be compromised. If your shoes get wet, allow them to dry naturally.
- The exposed cork edge of Birkenstock flip flops and clogs is lightly coated with cork sealer. This safeguards the cork and keeps it from drying out. If the cork appears to be drying out, apply a thin layer of Birkenstock Cork Sealer to safeguard it from the elements.
- Spritz the whole footbed of your sandals with Birkenstock Cleaner & Refresher and gently wipe excess moisture and dirt with a cloth to keep your footwear fresh. To restore the nap on suede and nubuck footbeds, use a Nubuck/Suede brush.
- Spray Birkenstock Water & Stain Repellent on leather, suede, and nubuck surfaces on a regular basis to keep them protected. Uppers should be brushed with either a Nubuck or Suede brush to remove dust and dirt and restore the nap.
- Simply wipe Birko-flor and Birkibuc uppers clean with a damp cloth. To remove stubborn stains, use soap and water.
Read My Other Birkenstock Reviews:
So, is the Birkenstock Boston worth it?
On first glance it looks like the Boston Clog might just slip off your foot when you start walking however this couldn’t be further from the truth thanks to the roomy toe box area which provides great grip for your toes and also the adjustable strap which runs across the clog.
The Boston is a super-comfortable clog which is not only robust and hardwearing but also stylish in an ugly-clunky-homely-preppy kind of way.
If you are looking for a good all-rounder that you can just slip your feet into then the Boston is definitely the Clog for you and considering it is one of Birkenstock’s best sellers I am not the only one who thinks so.