90sfashion.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. See our disclosure here.
Last Updated on May 11, 2022
When you think of a classic sandal design then the Milano from Birkenstock is right up there with the best of them. I remember when I was a kid and I used to see men “of a certain age” walking around in sandals and socks – well these were the style of sandals that have been etched on my brain ever since and yet, since the preppy-sandal revival of the 1990’s it seems that sandals and socks are “okay” and not just the “retirement rage” that I shuddered at as a small judgmental child.
Okay so moving on and down to the fact that I was desperately needing a new pair of sandals this year I have put the past behind me and bought myself a pair of Birkenstock Milano’s. I can’t really say at this stage whether I will be pairing them with socks but I can say that these sandals are pretty darn comfortable and dare I say it, extremely versatile when it comes to foot fashion.
Don’t get me wrong, they are the a-typical “Jesus Creeper” sandal but to be honest with you, I kinda like that preppy ugly-chic look these days and the thing about the Milano is the sides are quite high so they do make your feet feel pretty secure and not like they will fall out if you’re setting a pace when you’re walking. I’ve written a full review on the Milano but can safely say that if you’re in the market for a pair of “Go To” sandals for the Summer then the Milano by Birkenstock certainly fits the bill.
Model of Shoe: Milano
Brand Recognition / Shoe Model recognition: Classic Sandal Design. Jesus Creeper/Dad Sandal with two straps across the foot.
What makes it unique: The Birkenstock footbed which contours to the shape of your foot. The addition of a heel strap for added security. Fairly high sides to the sandal that make your foot feel more secure.
Who it’s best for: Men, Women & Kids – Unisex design
Size Range: Women’s 4-12.5 including all half sizes, Men 6-13.5 including all half sizes, Kids 1-13.5 including all half sizes
Price Range ($, $$, $$$): Kids $29.95 $69.95 Adults $99.95- $200.00
Color Range (Top 3 Colors): Black, Mocha, Habana
THE BIRKENSTOCK MILANO REVIEW
A classic sandal in design with two sturdy adjustable straps with eyelets that go across the foot for optimal comfort and fit with an added heel strap to make the sandal feel much more secure than some of it’s counterparts.
As with the majority of Birkenstock footwear there is no visible stitching on the Milano which features clean lines and a classic design and shape.
Length 27 cm | 10.625″ (US size 9)
Width: Regular & Narrow
Weight: 383 g | 13.5 oz (US size 9)
Heel Height: 1.cm
Two width options available with this style for optimum comfort and fit.
The addition of the heel strap make the ankle support very good with the Milano.
Comfort and Arch Support
The Milano has the original footbed as well as the soft footbed both of which offer amazing arch support, a roomy toe box for extra grip and comfort and a deep heel cup for added comfort and to help with your posture. The anatomically designed footbed molds and shapes to your foot after you’ve worn them for a while.
The sole is quite stiff and rigid to start with as is customary with the Birkenstock range although is extremely durable and shock absorbing once you have broken them in.
Upper material: Options of Suede Leather, Oiled Leather, Synthetic, Birkibuk, Birko Flor, Microfibre and Nubuck. Thick yet supple leathers without additional dyes to keep the leather breathable, durable and comfortable. Can’t decide? Read my guide on Birkenstock Birko Flor vs Leather (Which Should You Choose?).
Footbed: The original Birkenstock footbed made from Cork and Latex with a covering of soft suede.
Sole material: EVA – Flexible, lightweight, durable and shock absorbing
Pretty lightweight sandals at approximately 10oz depending on the size.
I’ve not had mine long but they look pretty robust for a sandal and I am expecting great things from them and imagine that they will last for years to come.
I actually cannot fault these sandals. After the initial period of breaking them in which was lessened as I bought the soft footbed option with these I have got to say the Milano’s are probably the best Birkenstock sandals I own.
- Extreme temperatures can harm cork footbeds and EVA soles, so try to keep them away from campfires, radiators and fireplaces. On hot days, don’t leave your Birkenstocks under direct sun or in closed environments like closed vehicles.
- Some Birkenstock shoes are waterproof, but the majority are not, and should not be submerged in water since the sealants may be compromised. If your shoes get wet, allow them to dry naturally.
- The exposed cork edge of Birkenstock flip flops and clogs is lightly coated with cork sealer. This safeguards the cork and keeps it from drying out. If the cork appears to be drying out, apply a thin layer of Birkenstock Cork Sealer to safeguard it from the elements.
- Spritz the whole footbed of your sandals with Birkenstock Cleaner & Refresher and gently wipe excess moisture and dirt with a cloth to keep your footwear fresh. To restore the nap on suede and nubuck footbeds, use a Nubuck/Suede brush.
- Spray Birkenstock Water & Stain Repellent on leather, suede, and nubuck surfaces on a regular basis to keep them protected. Uppers should be brushed with either a Nubuck or Suede brush to remove dust and dirt and restore the nap. Simply wipe Birko-flor and Birkibuc uppers clean with a damp cloth. To remove stubborn stains, use soap and water.