Last Updated on October 12, 2020
What do Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears have in common?
Yes, they started in the Mickey Mouse Club, and they loved a good microphone headset, but the answer we are looking for is: they wouldn’t be caught dead wearing a top that ended below their belly buttons in the 90s.
Crop tops defined the 90s – in particular, 90s pop stars – and the internet isn’t big enough to hold every single picture of our favourite singers baring their midriffs. Although crop tops went slightly out of fashion in the late noughties, in favour of longer, more conservative tops, we’re pleased to tell you that they’re back. And as a result, so are our gym subscriptions.
There are many different ways to wear a crop top this season – and none of them involve performing on a stage in front of thousands of people.
Is grunge back? Not so much, but there are still 90s grunge style elements that can be incorporated into a modern day look.
- Gwen Stefani and TLC nailed the crop top sporty grunge look, and you can too by pairing a simple white crop top with the right pair of trousers.
- Leave the gargantuan, frayed jeans in the 90s and naughties, and opt for something that isn’t a skinny jean or legging.
- We’re thinking bootleg jeans, wide-legged flared trousers, and tracksuit bottoms. Think Britney Spears in (You Drive Me) Crazy or Sporty Spice in, literally everything!
- Choose your prints wisely. Camo screams sporty grunge, while pinstripe trousers add some punk rock to the proceedings. And houndstooth? Well that’s just good sense!
The Conservative Way
If after 1000 ab crunches the thought of wearing a crop top still scares you, we have the solution!
- It is possible to slay a crop top without baring your midriff – all thanks to this one hyphenated godsend of a word. High-Waisted.
- High-waisted trousers, shorts, and skirts will be your best friends if you want to wear a crop top but still preserve your modesty.
- The beauty of crop tops is that they come in all shapes, lengths and materials, so choose a long, loose, boxy shaped one to help you cover up. A tight crop top isn’t going to be as flattering as a loose one with a billowing fabric.
- Cropped jumpers also count, and are great when teamed with preppy skirts, tights and either over-the-knee or ankle boots.
- Red carpets have proven time and time again that crop tops can be worked into the most glamorous of looks too. Pair a high-necked lace or embellished crop top with a voluminous A-line midi skirt for all-out A-list glam.
Crop tops and skirts are the perfect combination as far as partywear is concerned.
- Shopping for the skirt of the season can be tricky if you have nothing to wear it with. There’s nothing worse than the detail of the skirt being covered by a long blouse, which is why crop tops are here to save the day.
- Crop tops are perfect for wearing with bold skirts or trousers. Cropped blouses or intricate long sleeved tops instantly take the look from casual to smart/casual in an instant.
- You can add even more glamour to the look by going for high heels and bold accessories.
Co-ords have never been more en vogue. And apart from the little black dress, are the easiest things to throw on when you ‘have nothing to wear’, as they do all the hard work for you.
- Co-ords sometimes come in the form of casual tracksuits, which makes them perfect for lazy days or travelling. They’re a celeb airport favourite for a reason!
- Team your off-duty co-ords with your sneakers of choice, or channel the likes of Kim Kardashian, Rita Ora and Rihanna and pair them with heels.
- They’re great for athleisure, but co-ords also come in ultra-glamorous partywear too. There are hundreds if not thousands of pieces that come pre-matched, and they still remain one of the go-to party looks of the season.
- Match your crop top to your skirt or trousers and watch heads turn!
- Go against the grain and mix and match some of your pre-matched pieces to really cause a stir. Bonus points for clashing prints!