Last Updated on June 21, 2020
Yes, overalls were cool way before Minions…
Every single A-lister – including many of our 90s celebrity crushes – has been spotted in a pair of dungarees, thus putting the denim one-piece on the sartorial map once again.
No longer just for DIY and Despicable Me fancy dress, overalls have had their moment in every single decade for as long as we can remember.
Almost every Smash Hits poster section (remember those?!) featured at least one pop star in a cute pair of overalls, to show fans that they were “just like us”. And as the trend is going nowhere, we predict the 2020 equivalent, Instagram, will be filling up with similar pictures in no time.
So, here are just a few ways to style your overalls…
With A Crisp White Shirt
- How do you smarten up a piece of denim? Add a crisp shirt, and you have a smart/casual look in an instant.
- Dress the look down with some trainers or sandals in the summer, or smarten it up by way of some chic, heeled ankle boots.
- Accessories play an important part when it comes to deciphering whether your look is smart, casual, day, or night. A large tote bag screams casual shopping trip, while a structured shoulder bag or delicate clutch hints at a smarter, evening look.
On Their Own
- Dare to bare, as dungarees can indeed be worn without anything underneath.
- However, if you plan on doing this, we recommend going for a tailored pair of dungarees that have been specifically made with that look in mind.
- Luckily, there are many dungarees with fitted tops available, so you don’t have to compromise on the trend or your modesty. Win, win!
- Add some heels and some statement jewellery and your next Friday night outfit is sorted!
Dressed Down With A Plaid Shirt
- Not all shirts were created equal.
- Apart from channelling the lumberjack chic look that Kristen Stewart made so popular in Twilight, a plaid shirt gives a much more casual vibe to an outfit.
- A plaid shirt is a great choice for the ultimate comfortable and care-free aesthetic – and there are many high street and high end variations to choose from.
In The Summer
- A great way to stay cool in the summer is to wear a pair of dungaree shorts. Bonus points if they come with frayed edges and patchwork.
- Wear with a cool, cotton tank top or even a cropped top (more on this later!) to keep out the heat. See, dressing like those 90s cool kids has never been easier!
- Team with a pair of shades, also canvas sneakers, or some wedges to add some glam – not to mention height – to the proceedings.
With Your Highest Heels
- Modern fashion dictates that anything can be dressed up with the right pair of heels and accessories.
- Make like a Kardashian/Jenner and wear your dungarees with some sky scraping heels, to take an obviously daytime look into night with ease.
- Slim fit overalls – or ones that skim the ankle perfectly – are the perfect choice if you want to show off your favourite piece of footwear.
- Embrace the 90s and accessorise with butterfly hairclips and more blue eyeshadow than you can shake a stick at.
With A Crop Top (Another 90s Staple!)
- If you’re going to pay homage to the 90s, you may as well do it properly.
- Denim dungarees and a cropped top go together like Posh and Becks. The style combination is the epitome of the 90s, and we applaud anyone who braves this look.
- A tight fitting sports bra or a slashed slogan or band tee work just as well as each other, so the choice is yours.
- Tailor your look to the weather by going for a cropped jumper instead. Add another layer by way of a floor-length trench coat for the colder months.