90sfashion.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. See our disclosure here.
Last Updated on January 5, 2022
(Just kidding – J-Lo is the queen of hoops, but it’s still possible to look almost as cool as her. And that’s good enough for us!)
Where would we be without hoop earrings?
For a start, iconic music videos from Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez, Cher, Ariana Grande, Madonna and more pop divas wouldn’t be half as iconic without the spherical accessories. And the pop culture phrases, “hold my hoops” and “the bigger the hoop, the bigger the ho” – thank you Khloe Kardashian for that second one – would have no meaning.
Jennifer Lopez and her almost-trademark hoop earrings have even featured on this week’s SNL if you can believe it, as her obsession with the trend was referenced by J-Lo herself in one of the most hilarious skits we have seen all year. (Watch the video, even if only for the line, “Do you look like garbage a little bit, and wish you didn’t? Go get some hoops!”)
Jenny from the Block’s hoop dedication aside, we haven’t even mentioned how crucial they have been in fashion over the years – but are having a particular resurgence courtesy of Balenciaga, Versace, Marc Jacobs, Christopher Kane and Ralph Lauren to name just a few.
Life wouldn’t be worth living without hoop earrings – here are just a few celebrity-approved ways to wear them right now…
- If you want to invest in a good quality and somewhat pricey pair of earrings so you can wear them every day and get your money’s worth, we suggest starting small.
- Wearing pop-star-style hoops that touch your shoulders won’t be appropriate for the office– even less so during your morning commute – or even if you have small children. But classic, smaller styles certainly would!
- Silver, yellow gold, white gold, it doesn’t matter. Just choose a modest size that you are comfortable with and shop with confidence.
- A simple design sans sparkles or anything attention-grabbing will go with everything from officewear to casualwear and even partywear!
Make A Statement
- You don’t wear gargantuan hoop earrings if you want to blend into the background.
- When it comes to making a statement, bigger is always better. Wallflowers needn’t apply.
- Extra points for channelling J-Lo and personalising your hoop earrings with your name or a favourite slogan.
- Thicker hoops, and ones with crystals and other embellishments, will only add to the drama. Take from that what you will.
- Wear with a slicked-back, sky-high pony tail, so they are the main attraction of your ensemble.
- Alternatively, being a little more discreet and letting them peek through your curls is another good way to go.
- Sorry Carrie Bradshaw, The Hair Scrunchie is In!
- Keeping the Stars in the Sun With these 90s Sunglasses Trends
- Remembering the Unisex World of Tank Tops
- You would colour coordinate your bag and shoes to your party dress, so why should hoop earrings be any different?
- Hoop earrings come in all sorts of colours right now, which means you can go wild and colour-match to your heart’s content.
- Women with several ear piercings can enjoy a bigger choice of earrings in one go – how about creating an ombre effect up and down your ear with a variety of different colours?
- It goes without saying, but save the biggest hoop in your favourite colour for the bottom hole.
Chic and classy
Angelina Jolie, Jessica Alba, Megan Fox, Charlize Theron and Kim Kardashian have all rocked a hoop earring on the red carpet, which goes to show that they can be just as elegant as they all fierce.
A simple design in a medium size can be used to complement other jewellery, so choose the same metal in the same colour for a seamless look.
Keeping the rest of your look sleek and minimal will add to the elegance. For a big occasion, high necked, floor-length evening gowns, or those staple little black dresses, would both work fabulously with a hoop earring.
Check Out: 23 Styles of Earring that were SO 90s