90sfashion.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. See our disclosure here.
Last Updated on July 29, 2021
Jennifer Lopez, Selena, Gloria Estefan, and Thalia popularized it.
Missy Elliot, Christina Aguilera, and other pop and hip-hop artists made it hot, and soon enough everyone was wearing the 90s Latina trends.
The unapologetic attitude coupled with the edgy and sexy aesthetic became hugely popular among the masses, be they of Latino roots or not, making Chicana-style ensembles with giant hoop earrings and dark lipsticks must-haves.
But, what were the key items that made the look work?
Read ahead to find out how you can replicate them and celebrate this rich culture yourself!
Dark lip-liner with lighter lipstick
Destiny’s Child stunner Kelly Rowland also wore this lip, (often with a crop top to show off those enviable abs). Dark-lined lips have made a comeback in recent years, thanks to the Kardashians and Instagram beauty culture borrowing from classic Latina trends.
- Start with a brown nude liner a couple of shades deeper than your natural lip color. Slightly over-draw the lips and fill them in. Take a paler nude lipstick and dab over the lips, keeping the color in the centre of the lips to preserve the deeper liner. Use a brush or your finger to fuse the two shades in the center of the lip. Add a pale gloss to the center of the bottom lip to make your pout juicier
- Copy Pamela Anderson and pair a matte plum or brown liner with a frosted pink lipstick
- Play around with different extremes in the comfort of home to find your sweet spot. Try a grunge look with black liner, or a Baywatch-babe look with nude lip products and bronzed skin
- Make it modern with dewy skin, bushy brows, and subtly-contoured eyes with lots of mascara
Large gold earrings
- Scour thrift stores or costume jewelry stores for chunky gold earrings of different shapes and sizes. (Disinfect them and use an earring coating to protect sensitive ears)
- Frame the earrings by wearing your hair up, or half-up-half-down with face-framing bangs
- Double-up on the gilded glamour by layering gold necklaces and bangles for a Cleopatra-meets-Chicana revival
- Tie the bandana at the top of your head and wear with your hair bundled into a loose bun, with a red lip and winged eye for a 1940s-meets-Chicana style
- Thrift stores and second-hand stores are often full of silk scarves and bandanas with unique patterns and colors
- Pair with gold hoops, a slip dress, and small reflective sunglasses for a casual summer look. Like any 90s aesthetic, throw on a baggy denim jacket when the sun goes down
Baggy jeans and crop tops
- Blazers over crop tops add extra coverage and warmth, fusing office-chic with pure street style
- Go for high-waisted baggy jeans and accentuate the waist with this leather belt with a large metal buckle
- For weekend nights out, pick slightly more tailored jeans or wide-leg jeans and pair with a long-line cropped tee, heeled boots, and even a chic belly chain for extra 90s love
Voluminous curls and big hair
- Use a volumizing or curl-enhancing mousse or dry spray to lift your hair at the roots and define your curls
- Try out a fringe or bangs to frame the face (but be prepared, as bangs and fringes can be high-maintenance)
- Create extra height by creating a half-up half-down look, securing your locks on the top of your head to cascade down