90sfashion.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. See our disclosure here.
Last Updated on July 15, 2021
‘Married…with children’ was an iconic sitcom that ran from 1987 to 1997, making Christina Applegate a household name with her portrayal of edgy-but-simple Kelly Bundy.
However, it was Peggy Bundy (played by Katey Sagal) who was a true 90s fashion icon we love to this day
Halloween parties or 90s costume parties are the perfect excuse to step into Peggy Bundy’s heels for a night and enjoy that gloriously over-the-top style.
We’ve put together our top ideas for the perfect (and easiest!) Peggy Bundy outfits. But first, there are a few staple features any Peggy Bundy outfit requires:
- A sky-high red bouffant wig, backcombed at the crown, and with a barrel-rolled fringe
- A cigarette (fake!) for a nod to the earlier seasons
- Peep-toe slip-on heels
- Large clip-on earrings and matching necklace sets
- Red lipstick
- Anything leopard-print
The basic look: tight capris and an off-the-shoulder top
One of Peggy’s staple looks involved tight black capri pants, an off-the-shoulder top, and peep-toe heels. This demonstrates the unique mix of the 60s, 80s, and 90s style Peg loved to wear. Think Fran Drescher meets 1980s Jane Fonda.
- If you can’t find real capri pants, just go with high-waisted black spandex tights. Try to find ¾ tights, or chop full-length tights if you’re in a pinch
- Find an off-the-shoulder top in a bright color or even better, a leopard-print pattern with a fitted bodice
- Wrap a super-wide belt around the waist, and slip on a pair of peep-toe heels, preferably with a bow on the top
- Color-match your earrings, necklace, long acrylic fingernails, and even your lipstick if possible
The activewear look: black spandex, leopard print leotard, and black waist belt
While Peggy Bundy was notoriously lazy and wasn’t one for exercise, she was known to don an activewear outfit here and there.
The most iconic one was a pair of black spandex tights, a leopard-printed leotard, and a black waist belt. This is an easy way to embrace the Peg look when you’ve got limited time and money to spend on costumes.
- Use the black activewear tights you undoubtedly already have in your wardrobe. If not, use a pair of thick black tights or stockings (opaque ones)
- Find a leopard-print leotard or one-piece swimsuit. If you’re iffy on wearing second-hand swimsuits, just give it a thorough wash with white vinegar, and remember you’ll be wearing it over your underwear and spandex or tights
- Accentuate the waist with a thick black belt. If you can’t find one, grab a length of thick black elastic from the haberdashery store and hand-sew a few stitches to create a makeshift belt
- Finish the look with high heels, leg warmers, teased hair, and large clip-on earrings
To really polish off the look and go for true authenticity, find a pair of light dumbbells.
Winter and fall Peggy Bundy costume: faux fur, shoulder pads, sheer over-shirts
Spandex and a shoulder-baring top may look Peggy-esque and ultra-cute, but they’re not going to make for a comfortable winter party. Never fear, Peg was known to wear faux fur, sweaters, and open shirts over her skin-hugging tops.
- Start with the classic base outfit of skin-tight black spandex and a tight black tank. Layer with a high-waisted pencil skirt, a wide belt, and heels
- Search the thrift stores for a leopard-print coat or jacket with faux fur edging and gold buttons
- If it’s not quite “fur weather”, look for a metallic or sheer blouse or shirt and wear it open over your top
A polka-dot jacket or blouse with wide shoulder pads in a bold shade such as red is Peggy-esque, especially with matching lipstick and nails
Couple-up: Peggy and Al Bundy
Heading to a 90s, dress-up, couples, or Halloween party with your partner? Go as Peggy and Al Bundy! Your man-friend has it easy, as Al was known for wearing rather plain and simple workwear.
- For your pre-party photoshoot, insist that the Al to your Peggy completes the look with a dejected scowl. Even better, stage the photo on your sofa so he can achieve that quintessential Al Bundy slouch
- Save some cash and trawl the menswear section at the local second-hand clothing store for slouchy slacks, a white shirt, red tie, and a zip-up jacket in a neutral or wheat color
- If your man is really dedicated, find a male’s wig with a receding hairline