Last Updated on August 31, 2020
Isn’t it the best thing in the world when one of the trendiest pieces of footwear is also one of the most comfortable?
Sure, we are partial to the odd Christian Louboutin stiletto, but flat shoes are really what get our pulses racing!
Birkenstocks are the go-to sandal for many off-duty A-listers, which is why we always like to have at least a few pairs in our wardrobes. Mary-Kate and Ashley – aka the Olsen twins – aka our ultimate 90s obsession – are huge fans of Birkenstock sandals.
And as the ladies are queens of their own fashion empire, we would like to think they know what looks stylish!
But if they aren’t enough to convince you, the likes of former Victoria’s Secret Angel Miranda Kerr, British style maven Alexa Chung, and Hollywood actress Naomi Watts are just three in a long list of famous faces who also swear by the Birkies.
If you want to get in on the trend but don’t quite know what to wear them with, read on…
- Birkenstocks are the epitome of functional fashionable footwear. (Try saying that three times really fast!)
- As overalls also have a comfortable yet fashionable reputation, it makes perfect sense that the two would go hand in hand.
- Wear with short, cut-off dungarees with a simple tee underneath in the height of summer.
- White Birkenstocks will complement the frayed detailing in the cut-offs, and are also one of the best colour choices for the spring/summer season.
- Retro aviators and a messy top knot would complete your off-duty summer look wonderfully.
- Despite being a sandal, the Birkenstock can also be worn in the autumn too. Swap the cut-off overalls for a longer pair, and add some warmth with some clever layering. A boyfriend cardigan is a great option!
With Mom Jeans
- Mom jeans, boyfriend jeans, and any other piece of loose, oversized, and extremely comfortable piece of denim would work perfectly with Birkenstocks.
- Wear with a tank top of your choice and an oversized tote bag. This is a great “chore” outfit, so a big bag for all the shopping is an addition that is as practical as it is stylish.
- If you’re going for a blue jeans and white top colour combo, spice the look up by choosing a tote in a loud colour; or perhaps even a bold leopard print!
With Loose, Billowing Dresses
- If you want to add some femininity or go for a boho chic look, then swap the trousers for skirts and dresses. Tight or loose fitting, the choice is yours!
- A zany, floral printed maxi dress will add to the boho chic aesthetic. Team with a wicker circle bag, a long necklace, and a large, floppy hat to really bring the look home.
- Go bold and opt for an animal printed maxi dress, teamed with a leather or pleather jacket to toughen the look up.
- Lighter coloured Birkenstocks such as the Arizona Soft Footbed metallic copper or silver versions would work better with dresses and summer colour palettes.
- The Birkenstock Eva models are perfect for the beach, as they are light as well as waterproof!
- Wear your Eva Birkenstocks with cropped, loose-fitting white trousers as you head to and from the beach.
- They can also be worn with your sarong or beach cover-up of choice to add style to your beach babe look.
- They come in virtually every colour under the sun, so match with your swimwear for seamless beach style.
- Make like an Olsen twin and wear yours with socks. The chunkier, the better!
- Mary-Kate and Ashley sported the socks and sandals look at the airport, with casual and comfortable clothing and accessories.
- So, grab your comfiest tracksuit bottoms and team with large – preferably all-black – accompaniments.