Last Updated on March 18, 2021
Welcome to the year 1992! You’re going to like it here.
The cinemas are screening ‘Wayne’s World’, little do they know it will be one of the most iconic comedy films of all time, while ‘Reservoir Dogs’, ‘The Bodyguard’, ‘Sister Act’, and ‘The Mighty Ducks’ are also on show.
The 1992 red carpets were trampled by glamorous celebrities left, right, and center. A notable moment was when Demi More sauntered about in a now-famous lavender-grey vintage gown at the Academy Awards. The dress celebrated Demi Moore’s body with a fitted lace halter-style bodice, a trumpet hem and full gloves.
Demi brought old-Hollywood back to the red carpet that night, the same night that Geena Davis wore a high-low ruffled concoction (eek? Yes? No?) and Jodie Foster wore a pale-pink sparkling pantsuit (which we love, by the way).
Here we have our favorite and most interesting fashion moments and styles from 1992.
- Will Smith’s bright, youthful fashion on and off ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’
- Big hair, big hoops, and figure-hugging threads in ‘My Cousin Vinny’
- Scrunchies, bucket hats, and flower accessories on ‘Blossom’
- Big hair and off-the-shoulder gowns from ‘Death Becomes her’ (costume party idea!)
- Draped black layers at Comme des Garcon Fall Ready-to-Wear 1992
Will Smith’s bright, youthful fashion on and off ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’
The ‘Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ opened in 1990 and was a 90s fashion cornerstone then and now. On a 1992 ‘Seventeen’ magazine cover emblazoned with “guys we love”, Will Smith wears a backward red cap, orange jacket, and bright 90s-graphic tee.
This look sums up a huge portion of early 90s (and 80s) style, characterized by clashing colors, baggy fits, and fun prints. TLC (one of the history’s best girl groups) wore this style like no other, see in its glory (while listening to a classic) in their ‘Ain’t 2 Proud 2 Beg’ video.
When it comes to brands that served this bright and rainbow-bold look, Cross Colors were a firm favorite.
- Tuck a bright, printed tee into your high-waisted pale-wash blue jeans with a black leather belt. Work-ify the styling with heeled boots and a sleek blazer
- For Summer, find a pair of neon printed long shorts and pair with a cropped tank and a bright or printed cotton blouse worn open over the top
Big hair, big hoops, and figure-hugging threads in ‘My Cousin Vinny’
Marisa Tomei plays Mona Lisa Vito in the underrated 1992 movie ‘My Cousin Vinny’, and let me tell you, the fashion is something else. Mona Lisa’s Italian-American New York-style includes a big, blow-waved cropped haircut, big hoops or dangle earrings, red lipstick, and clothes that celebrate her body.
- Source a long-sleeved floral bodysuit with a low back (an easy request, right?) and pair with black slim-line jeans and a cropped leather jacket
- Try your hand at pairing a black A-line leather mini with a white blouse tucked in, and a blazer over the top, preferably with an embellished lapel
- Polish off the concoction with volumized hair, red lips, and statement earrings
Scrunchies, bucket hats, and flower accessories on ‘Blossom’
Oh, ‘Blossom’, what a fantastic and underrated show from the early 90s. This TV treasure starring Mayim Bialik (yes, from ‘The Big Bang Theory’) debuted in 1992 and brought with it a smorgasbord of fashion inspiration.
The most iconic ‘Blossom’ staples were scrunchies, bucket hats, and big flower accessories, (often pinned to said bucket hats). Other regular garments included waistcoats, baggy trousers and shirts, crochet cardigans, and crop tops. For a major blast from the past, watch the blossom opening credit song.
- Find a pair of baggy cotton drill trousers that sit on the hip, and wear with a brown leather belt and off-the-shoulder bodysuit. Add chunky black lace-ups or Doc Martens
- Pin a flower brooch to your lapel, hat, or embroidered waistcoat
- Try a half-up-half-down look with a bright scrunchy, and keep the look rolling with clip-on pearl earrings and floral tights
Big hair and off-the-shoulder gowns from ‘Death Becomes her’ (costume party idea!)
Look, if you haven’t seen ‘Death Becomes Her’, please, I beg you, watch it. Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn pay the ultimate price for everlasting youth, resulting in hilariously over-the-top antics.
The two glamazombies were the epitome of Hollywood high glamour in the early 90s, with big, wavy hair, black velvet, sweetheart necklines, off-the-shoulder sleeves, sequins, and bold red gowns.
If you’ve got a 90s party to attend, (or Halloween party, for that matter), partner-up and go as Madeline and Helen (Streep and Hawn). It’s the perfect way to get ultra-glam and gorgeous while sticking to the theme.
- Look for black gowns with long sleeves that sit off the shoulder, preferably in satin or velvet, or with sheer paneling
- Or, go for the pant-and-jacket combo with a white satin wrap jacket, slim black trousers (like Meryl), or black capri pants and a red long-sleeved top (like Goldie)
- Accessorize with shovels and a fake hole through Goldie’s stomach (watch the movie, you’ll see what I mean!)
Want more couple’s costumes inspo? See here.
Draped black layers at Comme des Garcon Fall Ready-to-Wear 1992
Now for our high fashion vintage runway portion of the showing…we present Comme des Garcon Fall ready-to-wear 1992. Comme des Garcon are consummate envelope pushers, with grunge-punk stylings ruffling feathers throughout the 80s and 90s.
This particular all-black-and-white show is delightfully unkempt and rough, like waking up after a particularly raucous weekend and having to walk city streets straight to work.
There are high-waisted, baggy pants with sheer tanks and jackets falling off the shoulder. There are satin maxi dresses deliberately creased and with buttons missing. There are oversized dresses draped over the body loosely, with raw hems and sleeves hanging over the hands. Instead of me raving for hours, check it out here.
These looks influenced stars such as Kate Moss, Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder, Fairuza Balk, Angelina Jolie, and Rose McGowan. The Olsen twins have also worn the draped, baggy, mismatched look post-90s, but with a bohemian spin.
- Find a pair of high-waisted trousers that are softly draped and hang widely over the leg. Pair with a tucked-in tank or bodysuit and drape an oversized shawl, scarf, or cardigan over the shoulders
- Layer a black satin midi-dress over black tights and add a longline blazer or duster coat
- Experiment at the thrift store by trying on pleated menswear suit trousers a few sizes too big, and belting at the waist for a paper-bag effect. Sure, it may be disastrous, but fashion is all about experimenting to see what you can create unexpectedly